Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Power of "I'm Sorry"

No, I'm not talking about having my child learn to say "I'm sorry" - I'm talking about me remembering the power of those two little words. It is surprisingly hard to utter that phrase to your child. You feel as though you are the one who should be in control, the one who should be setting the example. Yet, as a parent part of the humility you learn comes from screwing up, time and again. What is the most amazing thing to see is how forgiving these little beings are. No matter how bad of a day you have, or how poorly you handle a difficult parenting moment, they are always willing to envelope you in a tight, genuine hug and accept your apology.

This weekend, I had to tell my daughter: "I'm sorry I yelled. Mommy didn't talk nice, and that is not okay." She said: "That's right Mommy, but it's okay. I love you." What a gift, what a lesson in true forgiveness!

No comments:

Post a Comment