Thursday, September 10, 2009

Honest Feedback

One of the reasons I fell in love with my husband was because of his direct, candid, yet somehow funny and loving manner of communicating.  He can tell you that you look atrocious in something, yet make you laugh as he tells you.  Thai is one of those people everyone loves, despite the fact that he holds no punches and makes no apologies.  He is that person we all want to be - so cool and so whatever.  He is the perfect example of  brutal honesty that is well deserved, well delivered, and [usually] well received.

Brutally honest feedback I have received from him includes:

"No, you cannot wear that to work.  It just doesn't work on you."

I should mention that part of what makes him effective at giving brutally honest feedback is that he is short, to-the-point, and leaves no question as to his meaning or intent.

"You've got to stop whining about that.  Get over it."

Now, you see how in print these little nuggets of feedback seem so harsh?  It is amazing how suave he is with delivery, because when I received these messages, I just complied and moved on.  Also, I found him even more endearing after receiving such blunt honesty.

Who gives you brutally honest feedback and what is the best piece of feedback you have received?

No comments:

Post a Comment